Printed & Digital Books    Newsletters   Upcoming Events   Contact Us  


Find topic, title or author:


   Genealogy Misc.

      - New Brunswick
      - Newfoundland & Lab.
      - Nova Scotia
      - Ontario
      - Prince Edward Island
      - Quebec
      - Western Canada
      - Military
      - Loyalists / UEL
      - Pioneers' Stories
      - Home Children
   England & Wales
   Ireland & N. Ireland
   United States

Featured Authors

   Carol Bennett-McCuaig
   Kenneth G. Cox
   Fawne Stratford-Devai
   Fraser Dunford
   Duncan MacDonald UE
   Stuart L Manson
   Ont. Genealogical Society
   Ron W. Shaw
   Dan Walker
   Gavin K. Watt

   Quebec, Lower Canada, New France   
Genealogy & History Resources

Canadian Resources | Acadian Resources
More Quebec Resources

BOOK - L'île d'Orléans [Isle of Orleans, Quebec]
By: Pierre Georges Roy
Originally published by Historic Monuments Commission of the Province of Quebec, Quebec, 1928
This edition published by Global Heritage Press, Milton, 2011 (CD 2011)

Book on CD... 24.95 (C$)
pdf download.....19.95 (C$)
Link emailed within 1 business day
Licensed for personal use only

durable and attractive premium binding
Hardcover Edition
7.25 X 10.75"

Book-on-CD Edition

This is a fine reprint of a scarce English edition that was originally published in 1928. A high-quality production, our edition of L'île d'Orléans contains all of the pages of the original work, including the 14 full colour plates, plus a colour image of the original cover. High resolution pdf versions of this book are available both on CD or as a pdf download, however the printed hardcover edition is now out of print.

The book contains many anecdotal accounts of the people, places and events that shaped the history of the Isle of Orleans. Many signatures of early inhabitants are reproduced in this essential volume.

Île d'Orléans (Isle of Orleans ) is located in the Saint Lawrence River about five kilometers (three miles) east of Quebec City. The island was one of the first places in the province of Quebec to be colonized by France.

The indigenous Huron called the island Minigo prior to French settlement. The French explorer Jacques Cartier first set foot on the island in 1535 near the present-day village of Saint-François. He called it Île de Bascuz because of the abundance of wild grapes growing on the island. Officials later changed the name to Île d'Orléans in honour of the second son of King Francis I, Henri II, the Duke of Orléans. The island was also temporarily known as Grande Île, Sainte-Marie, and Saint-Laurent for certain periods in the 17th and 18th centuries.

The Île d'Orléans is 75 km in circumference. It was granted the status of National Historic District in 1970. Since 1940, access to the island has been by the Pont de l'Île bridge. The crossing connects to the Chemin Royal (Royal Road) which encircles the island. At the village of Sainte-Pétronille toward the western end of the island there is a viewpoint from which one can see the impressive Chute Montmorency (Montmorency Falls) as well as a panorama of the St. Lawrence River and Quebec City. The Manoir Mauvide-Genest was constructed in 1734 for Jean Mauvide, a surgeon for the King of France. The manor was occupied by General Wolfe when the island was occupied by the British forces in 1759 shortly before the Battle of the Plains of Abraham.

The island comprises the current-day towns of Sainte-Famille, Saint-François-de-l'Île-d'Orléans, Saint-Jean-de-l'Île-d'Orléans, Saint-Laurent-de-l'Île-d'Orléans, Sainte-Pétronille, and Saint-Pierre-de-l'Île-d'Orléans.

Sample pages: This comprehensive history discusses every aspect of the discovery, settlement and development of the island. Filled with references to specific people and events, L'île d'Orléans is an essential read for everyone with an interest in French settlement in North America insofar as a large percentage of French Canadians and Franco-Americans can trace their ancestry to early residents of the island. Île d'Orléans has been described as the "microcosm of traditional Quebec and as the birthplace of francophones in North America."

544 Pages
7.25 X 10.75"
B & W illustrations (numerous)
Colour plates (15)
Table of Contents
Hardcover (premium binding in deeply grained dark green covering with gilt stamping on front cover and spine)
Originally published by Historic Monuments Commission of the Province of Quebec, Quebec, 1928
This edition published by Global Heritage Press, Milton, 2011 (CD 2011)

ISBN 978-1-926797-51-9 (Hardcover)

More Canadian Genealogy & History Resources from Global Genealogy:

© Inc. 1992-2023
Sign up for our free newsletter!   |   Unsubscribe from our newsletter

New Books 2023

Sacred Ground
Volume Two

United Empire Loyalist

Denny Cemetery
Bastard Township

Leeds County, Ontario

St Augustine Cemetery
Beckwith Twp, Ontario

How WRIGHT You Are
Eastern Ontario & beyond

Dewar Cemetery
Ashton, Ontario

Early Ottawa Valley Records
Eastern Ontario & Western Quebec

Kennedy Cemetery
Ashton, Ontario

Prospect United Church Cemetery
Lanark County, Ontario

Stormont County, Ontario

The MATTICE Family
Stormont County, Ontario

The WALDORF Families
Stormont County, Ontario

New Books 2022

Pioneer genealogy
Lanark County, Ontario

St. John's Cemetery
South March
Carleton County, Ontario

Wardens of Renfrew
Renfrew County, Ontario

Leinster to Lanark
Irish settlers to
Lanark County, Ontario

Diary of Deaths

Glengarry County, Ontario

The Brevity 1838-1866
Tythes, Masses & Notes

Roman Catholic
Glengarry County, Ontario

Valley Irish
Ottawa Valley

In Search of Lanark
Lanark County, Ontario

The Loyalists of Massachusetts
(American Revolution - UEL)

The Kerry Chain
The Limerick Link

(Irish settlers to
Renfrew County, Ontario)

Invisible Women
(of Eastern Ontario)