New Arrivals    Books    Archival Products   Charts   Printing & Binding   News & How-To   Events   Contact Us  

Popular Categories

   Australia & New Zealand
   British Home Children
      - Acadie, Acadian
      - New Brunswick
      - Newfoundland & Lab.
      - Nova Scotia
      - Ontario
      - Prince Edward Island
      - Quebec
      - Western Canada
      - First Nations, Metis
      - Military - Before 1920
      - Loyalists / UEL
      - Pioneers' Stories
      - Genealogy How-To
   England & Wales
   Ireland & Northern Ireland
   United States
      - American Revolution
   more countries...
   Genealogy How-To

   Archival & Acid-Free
   Conservation How-To

   Charts, Forms
   Gift Certificates

Popular Authors

   Thomas MacEntee
   Paul Milner
   Chris Paton
   Ron W. Shaw
   Gavin K. Watt

Popular Publishers

   Global Heritage Press
   Institute of Jesuit Studies
   MacDonald Research
   OGS - Ottawa Branch
   Unlock The Past

Search our store by topic, author, word or phrase:
News & How-To
Formerly branded as

Articles, press releases,and how-to information for everyone interested in genealogy and history

Subscribe to our free newsletter


Get More Value From Your Genealogy Software
Column published: 23 June 2009
By: Shirley Gage Hodges   Biography & Archived Articles

I hope that you have found a genealogy software program that you enjoy using. I do not intend to advise you about which one to use because it's all a matter of taste, and tastes do differ. At any rate, most of us are convinced that the one we are using is the best program available.
    User guides:
    Regardless of the program you are using, make use of all of the information that is offered. Too many of us still have our genealogy software instruction manual in it's shrink-wrap packaging. I will admit that I am avoiding looking at my bookcase while I am typing this portion of the article. These manuals are valuable tools that help you compare different options and features of our computer programs.

    Classes and workshops:
    When you have the opportunity to attend a lecture or class featuring the software you use, I would encourage you to attend. Even if you are a long time user of the program you will pick up dozens of ideas and tips that will help you improve your results using your genealogy program. Most people use less that 20% of the capabilities of their program. Find out about the other 80%, and decide which of those features and options will help you. With the click of a mouse you can learn how to create a family history book that your family and descendants will treasure.
It was fun meeting so many Global Gazette readers at the Ontario Genealogical Society (OGS) Conference 2009 in Oakville, Ontario last month. And it was especially nice to reconnect with those of you whom I've met at previous OGS conventions. Next year's Ontario Genealogical Society Conference 2010 will be held at the Doubletree Hotel and convention centre in Toronto (by the airport). I hope to see you there.

Until next time :)

Shirley Hodges

To read back issues of Shirley Hodges' articles, visit her biography & archived Articles

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Check out the resources at

History & Genealogy Books...
History and genealogy books, maps, CDs from a wide selection of publishers, including Global Heritage Press. Browse resources listed by country, location or topic.

Document & Artifact Preservation Products
Acid-free storage and display products to preserve and safely store your family heirloom documents and artifacts.

Printing & Binding Solutions
You've done the research, written the stories, gathered the photos and illustrations, and put them all together... Now let produce a finished book you will be proud to call your own.

Family Tree Charts & Census Forms
Poster-size blank family tree charts, plus a variety of free blank letter-size charts and census forms Inc. 1992-2017
Sign up for our free newsletter!   |   Unsubscribe from our newsletter