Search by topic, title, author or word:
England & Wales
Genealogy & History Resources
BOOK - British Military Medals - Second Edition, A Guide for the Collector and Family Historian
By Peter Duckers
Published by Pen and Sword Books, S. Yorkshire, UK, 2013
This second edition of Peter Ducker's best-selling British Military Medals traces the history of medals and gallantry awards from Elizabethan times to the modern day, and it features an expert account of their design and production. Campaign and gallantry medals are a key to understanding - and exploring - British and imperial military history, and to uncovering the careers and exploits of individual soldiers.
In a series of succinct and well-organized chapters he explains how medals originated, to whom they were awarded and how the practice of giving medals has developed over the centuries. His work is a guide for collectors and for local and family historians who want to learn how to use medals to discover the history of military units and the experiences of individuals who served in them.
- A reference book that should form part of the collection of anyone with an interest in British Military History. - The Armourer
- A well-organised and thorough book that should prove invaluable for those embarking on military research. -
Family Tree Magazine
- Medals are curious things. Iíve never felt an urge to collect them, but knowing all about the plethora of campaign stars, clasps and the rainbow of ribbons is solid general knowledge of the old sort... - War History Online
- Peter Duckers is curator of Shropshire Regimental Museum at Shrewsbury Castle and one of the leading experts on military medals, and this book is a new edition which updates and expands the original from 2009.... - Shropshire Star / Express & Star (Wolverhampton)
- British Military Medals traces the history of medals and gallantry awards from Elizabethan times to the modern day and features an expert account of their design and production. Campaign and gallantry medals are a key... - controltowers.co.uk
- In this admirably clear and concise guide, Peter Duckers introduces the many medals that we might come across in the course of research into soldier and sailor forebears. Includes details of books, websites and archive... - BBC Who Do You Think You Are?
6 X 9.25"
Hardcover - with dustjacket
Published by Pen and Sword Books, S. Yorkshire, UK, 16 September 2013
More Genealogy & History Resources from Global Genealogy:
Printed & Digital Books, Vital Records & Maps
Listed By Country or Topic
Wesleyan Methodist Baptismal Register, Russell County 1840-1886
No Despicable Enemy, 1779: Continental Army destroys Indian Territory
(American Revolution - UEL)
St Andrew's and St Paul's Cemetery, Russell County, Ontario
Loucks Cemetery, Russell County, Ontario
North Russell Cemetery, Russell County, Ontario
Province of Ontario Immigration Records, An Overview - Updated Edition
Family History for Beginners
Narrative of a Voyage to Quebec and the Journey from Thence to New Lanark in Upper Canada