Compact, lightweight, cordless mobile scanner empowers you to scan big or small originals in full colour... More information >>
BOOK - The Picturesque St. Lawrence River, Kingston and Cape Vincent to Morristown and Brockville (1895)
By Jno. A. Haddock. Originally published in 1895.
This historical reprint by Global Heritage Press
This modern printing of The Picturesque St. Lawrence River will be of great interest to all of those who have a connection to the Thousand Islands region.
Though the book was originally published as a "souvenir" of the area, it serves a higher purpose for contemporary readers. It is more local history than momento. Filled with historical sketches and images of people and places on the Canadian and American sides of the river, The Picturesque St. Lawrence River provides the reader with a view of the connections between the families and communities discussed within its covers.
This printing is a faithful reproduction of the original with two exceptions. The original included two fold out plates. The first is a colour map of the area between Kingston and Chimney Island (near Brockville), and the other a picture of the waterfront skyline of early Kingston. We decided that these two features could be improved, so we increased the size of each. The colour map is now a 24" fold out. And the picture of Kingston from the water is a 16" fold out.
The Picturesque St. Lawrence River is printed on premium paper for the best possible reproduction of photographs and lithographs. Bound in sturdy hardcover with textured dark-green covering, this book will be treasured by family members for generations.
- The Chain of Title (who holds ownership of the islands)
- A Rainy Day at the Islands
- Biographical Sketches (including photos and lithographs)
- The Royal Military College - Canada's West Point
- General Description of the area - Historical and Opinions of Visitors
- Early "Indian" History
- Carleton Island and The Revolution
- Upon the Rivers in the Early 1840's
- The French Owners of The Thousand Islands
- Thousand Island Park
- The Crossmon House and Its Founders
- Some Biographical Sketches
- The Men I've Met upon The Great River
- A Bonaparte In Northern New York
- The Mystery of Maple Island
- Old Fort Frontenac and Modern (1895) Kingston
- The Thousand Islands in Autumn - The Pot Holes
- The Whittlesey Affair
- The "Patriot" War
- John Haddock's Celebrated Balloon Voyage with Prof. La Mountain
- The Awakening of Henry Backus
- The War of 1755, with an allusion to the "Lost Channel"
- The Castorland Colony
- Castorland and the French Settlement There
- Descriptions of the Thousand Islands (by travellers, historians, and statistical writers)
- Poetic Associations of the Thousand Islands (boat songs and poems)
- Geology of the Thousand Islands
- Boundaries of the Thousnad Islands
- Light Houses of the Thousand islands
- Navigation and Lumbering
- The St Lawernce Real Estate Association
- Membership Lists - Thousand Island Club
- Island Directory (names of islands and owners from Clayton NY to Goose Bay)
- Early Recollections of Alexanderia Bay
- Along the Saint Lawrence in the War Days of 1861-1865
- Grand View Park
- What Caused the St. Lawrence River...
- The Technique of Fishing
- The Anglers Association of The St. Lawrence River (pre 1895)
- The Phantom Minnow
- Gananoque - Past and Present (1895)
- Brockville - Gateway to the Thousand Islands
- The Folger Brothers
- The Origin of Printing on the Shores of The St. Lawrence
- More Biographical Sketches
- Picturesque Kingston
- More About Kingston
- Carleton Villa
- Count Frontenac
- Central park Hotel
8" Wide X 11" Tall
Hardcover (premium grade)
Fold-out colour map (11" X 24") of Kingston to Chimney Island (Near Brockville)
Fold-out photograph (11" X 16") of Kingston skyline (1895)
Photographs and illustrations of people and places (sample)
Originally published by Jno. A. Haddock, Watertown, New York, 1895
This historical reprint by Global Heritage Press, Milton, Ontario, 2009
More Canadian Genealogy & History Resources from Global Genealogy:
Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, Father of the Canadian Crown Exiled from the court of his father, and accompanied by his long-time mistress Julie de St. Laurent, the 24-year-old Prince and future father of Queen Victoria arrived in Quebec City in 1791....
Edwardsburgh Family HistoriesIncludes family histories of more than 70 families in Edwardsburgh Township and...
[Grenville County, Ontario]
Abbey pH Testing Pen A fast, easy, inexpensive and dependable way to determine the acidity of paper, documents, storage boxes, packing tissue and....
Prisons, Asylums, and the Public: sheds new light on popular nineteenth-century attitudes towards the insane and the criminal......
Institutional Visiting in the Nineteenth Century
Household Counts: This collection not only makes an important contribution to family history, but also to the widening intellectual exploration of historical censuses......
Canadian Households and Families in 1901
The Trail of the Black WalnutStarting soon after the outbreak of the American Revolution numerous Pennsylvania-German families and so-called "Plain Folk" (i.e. Mennonnites, Dunkards, Moravians, Amish, Hutterites, etc) migrated north to Canada in successive waves. Together, in cultural and religious and kinship groups they settled.....
Catherine Tekakwitha: Her LifeThe story is told by an eye-witness -- her spiritual director -- of the events in her life from the time she arrived at the Jesuit mission just outside of Montreal, known at that time as.......
"Lily of the Mohawks"
How Our Ancestors Died, In addition to describing causes of death and setting them in the context of the times, his book shows readers how to find and interpret patient records, death certificates and other documents in order to gain an accurate impression of how their ancestors died......
A Guide For Family & Local Historians
[United Kingdom & elswhere]
Dictionary of Glengarry BiographyBACK IN PRINT: A comprehensive history of Glengarry county told through the lives of pioneers, fur traders, soldiers, farmers, railway barons, politicians, criminals, anybody and everyone who helped make Glengarry one of Canada's most storied and celebrated counties. This thick book includes 1600 biographical sketches, with more than...
[Glengarry County, Ontario]