New Arrivals    Books    Archival Products   Charts   Newsletters   Upcoming Events   Contact Us  

Popular Categories

   How-To - Genealogy Misc.
   How-To - Write & Publish
   How-To - Conservation
   Canada
      - Acadie, Acadian
      - New Brunswick
      - Newfoundland & Lab.
      - Nova Scotia
      - Ontario
      - Prince Edward Island
      - Quebec
      - Western Canada
      - First Nations, Metis
      - Military - Before 1920
      - Loyalists / UEL
      - Pioneers' Stories
   British Home Children
   England & Wales
   Ireland & Northern Ireland
   Scotland
   United States
      - American Revolution
   more countries...

   Archival Products

   Genealogy Charts
   Magnifiers

   Gift Certificates


Popular Authors

   Thomas MacEntee
   Paul Milner
   Chris Paton
   Ron W. Shaw
   Gavin K. Watt


Popular Publishers

   Global Heritage Press
   MacDonald Research
   OGS - Ottawa Branch
   Unlock The Past



Search by topic, title, author or word:


Eastern Ontario
Genealogy & History Resources
Includes counties of Addington, Carleton, Dundas, Frontenac, Glengarry, Grenville, Hastings,
Lanark, Leeds, Lennox, Prescott, Prince Edward, Renfrew, Russell, Stormont
Cities include Belleville, Cornwall, Kingston, Perth, Ottawa, etc.


Central Ontario Resources | Western Ontario Resources | Eastern Ontario Resources
Northern Ontario Resources | More Canadian Resources



BOOK - Stittsville United Church Cemetery, Carleton County, Ontario
Transcribed by Ottawa Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society
Originally published by Ottawa Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1988
This edition published by Global Heritage Press, Ottawa, 2018


Coilbound... 14.95 (C$)
pdf download.....9.95 (C$)
Link emailed within 1 business day
Licensed for personal use only


Coilbound Edition



This book includes transcriptions of the names and information engraved on all of the surviving gravestones in the cemetery of the Stittsville United Church, as of the summer of 1986. The church was originally a Methodist church , but was amalgamated into the United Church in 1925. The church was originally named 'Wesley Methodist', then renamed to 'Wesley United Church' in 1925, then renamed to 'Stittsville United Church' in 1975.

Contents include: About Stittsville United Church
    The following history of the church was extracted from the official website of the church (2018):

    1819 Ezra Healey a faithful Methodist saddle-bag preacher began to establish classes of approximately twenty members each in the forests and wilderness between the Rideau and Ottawa rivers. In 1824 George and Mary Argue and their four sons, William, Robert, Andrew and John established a homestead on lot 21, concession 11, in the Township of Goulbourn approximately one mile west of the village of Stittsville. When the family home was completed the neighbours gathered to give thanks to God. This was the first Methodist service ever held in Goulbourn Township. When Ezra Healey reached the Stittsville area he placed the Methodist adherents under the leadership of the aforementioned George Argue, James Wilson and Archibald Magee.

    It was not however until 1845, when William Magee granted to the trustees of the Methodist congregation one acre of land on which the current church now stands, that a permanent church was established. That first building, constructed of logs, was known as the Magee Chapel. In 1847, a stone building, first known as the Argue Chapel and subsequently as the Wesley Methodist Church was built about 100 yards (90 metres) east of the existing building. The remains of the foundation of that stone church can still be seen in the church cemetery. The structure of that stone church was rather crude with round rather than quarried stones used to create the outside walls. By 1883 that first stone building was replaced by the "Brick Church" which met the needs of the growing congregation for the next seventy years and forms the significant part of our current sanctuary. When the union of certain Methodist, Congregationalist and Presbyterian groups created The United Church of Canada in 1925, Wesley Methodist became Wesley United Church. In 1975 the name was changed to Stittsville United Church.

About Stittsville:
    Stittsville, originally a small town near Ottawa, located in Carleton County, is now a fast growing suburban area in the west end of the city of Ottawa. The first settlers to the area were Irish soldiers, arriving in the 1820s. The town itself was born in the 1850s by Jackson Stitt, for whom the town is named; he was also the first postmaster in the area.

    By 1866, Stittsville was a post village with a population of 100, situated in the township of Goulborne. The village contained one general store, one common school, with an average attendance of seventeen pupils. The Loyal Orange Lodge, No. 210, met in Orange Hall, on the first Thursday in each month. The citizens included John S. Argue, general merchant and postmaster.

    The Great Carleton Fire of 1870 devastated the community, destroying nearly everything. The Hartin House and a handful of other buildings were all that was left standing. This was an extremely large fire, encompassing over 250,000 acres The town rebuilt and revived after the fire.
28 Pages
8.5 X 11"
Index
Originally published by Ottawa Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1988
Original 1988 ISBN (no record)
This edition published by Global Heritage Press, Ottawa 2018
New ISBN 978-1-77240-099-1 (Coilbound edition)






More Canadian Genealogy & History Resources from Global Genealogy:

© GlobalGenealogy.com Inc. 1992-2018
Sign up for our free newsletter!   |   Unsubscribe from our newsletter




Norway Bay United & Anglican Cemetery
(Pontiac County, Quebec)






































The Merivale Cemeteries
(Protestant - Ottawa area)