Search by topic, title, author or word:
BOOK - Illustrated Historical Atlas of the Counties of Lincoln and Welland
Originally published by H. R. Page, Toronto 1876.
This premium-quality, limited-edition reprint published 2008
Behind today's high-speed cities are the slower paced memories of yester-year. These memories though often faded, have not dissappeared. They survive in old books, maps, documents, census records and black and white photographic views, hidden in the recesses of museums and archives.
The cover and book spine are stamped in gold-foil. The covering has a nicely grained, jet black finish. This image appears lighter because of camera flash.
The Illustrated Historical Atlas of the Counties of Lincoln and Welland, was originally published by H. R. Page of Toronto in 1876. It contains colour maps of the southern portions of Ontario and Quebec and the maritime provinces with their counties clearly delineated. at the time.
The bulk of the edition is dedicated to history, maps and personal information about the inhabitants of the counties of Lincoln and Welland in the province of Ontario in 1876.
This county atlas consists of historical text, township and town maps, portraits, views, and patron's directory. In some of the county atlases of the time, all of the names of rural residents were marked on their properties. This is one of those atlases -- all of the farm lots/acreages have the names of the landholders printed on the maps of their respective townships. Those who had the means and/or an interest, paid an fee to the original publisher to have biographical sketches, portraits, and/or artistic renderings of their properties or businesses included in the atlas.
Contains many illustrations of people, homes,
farms and businesses in Lincoln and Welland Counties in 1876.
This premium quality reprint of the original atlas has been printed in a limited edition.
Every Lincoln and Welland Township of 1876 is represented with a detailed map outlining the farm lots, rivers, creeks, roads, towns and villages. Landholders names are printed on their specific properties on each township map.
(Click on photo for bigger image)
- Original title page
- New introduction
- Table of Contents -detailed
- Historical sketch of the Counties of Lincoln and Welland with details by topic and township
- Individual sketches (narratives)
- Historical sketch of St. Catharines
- Portrais of individuals
- Map of Lincoln and Welland counties (colour) divided into townships that are further delineated into lots and concessions (two page colour map)
- Individual township maps (colour) with names of landowners listed on thier properties
- Map of southern Ontario and Quebec with counties outlined (two page colour map)
- Sketches of properties and persons who were "subscribers" to the original printing
- Map of eastern Quebec and the Maritime provinces with counties outlined (two page colour map)
- Townplans including steet names, house/lot numbers, some with names of home owners (colour maps)
- Patron's directory of Lincoln and Welland Counties includes name, location, date of settlement, nativity, PO address, business (if any)
- Advertisements from 1876 advertisers to the original printing.
Many painstaking hours have gone into restoring the original black copy as well as reconstructing the coloured original maps, and re-inserting the colour to show how the original atlas looked more than 130 years ago.
Two page map of Lincoln and Welland Counties, with township boundaries, towns, villages, lots and concessions. (click on photo for larger image)
We are very pleased to be able to make this limited edition reprint available to genealogical researchers, students, historians and archivists alike. This is an outstanding quality reproduction that is destined to become a treasured heirloom for generations to come.
- 75 pages
- 14 X 18"
- Hardcover (heavy weight boards with premium quality textured covering in black)
- Table of Contents (with both original and 2008 edition pagination)
- Maps (all in colour)
- Patrons directory (1876 subscribers)
- Printed on heavy-weight (80 lb) acid-free paper
- ISBN 978-0-97643-1-8 (2008)
More Canadian Genealogy & History Resources from Global Genealogy:
Color Ancestor Wall Chart
Suitable for framing
Scotch Road Cemetery
Grenville Twp, Argenteuil County, Quebec
1861 Census Goulbourn Township, Carleton County, Canada West (Ontario)
1861 Census Fitzroy Township, Carleton County, Canada West (Ontario)
1842 Census Carleton County, Canada West (Ontario)
1851 Census for Townships of Fitzroy, Torbolton, Huntley, March in Carleton County, Ontario
Dacre Memorial Cemetery
Brougham Twp, Renfrew Co., Ontario
Russell County, Ontario
History & Master Roll
Jessup's Loyal Rangers
Loyalists - American Revolution
Trial of G.F. and J. Boutelier... for murder of Frederic Emoneau
[Lunenburg NS, 1791]
Lanark County's Mammoth Cheese and its
Place in Cheesemaking History
The War of 1812...
Searching for your
Ancestor's War Records
Surviving 1851 Census
Returns of Ireland
Names of Emigrants,
From 1845-47 Records of
[ most from Ireland ]
Tracing Your Kent Ancestors, Guide for Family Historians
[ England ]