Search our store by topic, author, word or phrase:
BOOK - The Burning of the Valleys, Daring Raids from Canada Against the New York Frontier in the Fall of 1780 - REVISED EDITION.
By Gavin K. Watt
Published by Dundurn, Toronto, 1997
In the fifth year of the War of Independence, while the Americans focused on the British thrust against the Carolinas, the Canadian Department waged a decisive campaign against the northern frontier of New York. Their primary target was the Mohawk River region, known to be the “grainbowl” that fed Washington‘s armies. The Burning of the Valleys details the actions of both sides in this exciting and incredibly effective British campaign.
General Frederick Haldimand of Canada possessed a potent force, formed by the deadly alliance of toughened, embittered Tories, who had abandoned their families and farms in New York and Pennsylvania to join the King‘s Provincial regiments in Canada, and the enraged Six Nations Iroquois, whose towns and farmlands had been utterly devastated by Continentals in 1779. The Governor augmented this highly motivated force with British and German regulars and Canadian Iroquois.
In October, without benefit of modern transportation, communications or navigational aids, four coordinated raids, each thoroughly examined in this book, penetrated deeply into American territory. The raiders fought skirmishes and battles, took hundreds of prisoners, burned forts, farms, and mills and destroyed one of the finest grain harvests in living memory.
- List of Maps
- Chronology of Some Primary Events of the American Revolution and Key Occurrences Relating to the New York. Frontier & Canada - June 1774 to October 1780 13
- Comparative Chronology of the October 1780 Raids
- General lntrodduction: Key Personalities. Geography and Organizations
- The Background
- 1780, The Year of Revenge - The Campaign Opens
- The Fall Campaign of 1780
- The Expeditions on Lake Champlain
- Carleton Attacks the Hudson Valley
- An Epilogue to Carleton's Expedition
- Munro's Expedition Through the Woods Against Ballstown
- The Canada Indians Against the White River Region
- The Expedition from Oswego
- The "Infamous Bandittie" Attack the Schoharie Valley
- "Johnson and his Blood-Hounds" Attack the Mohawk Valley
- An Epilogue to the Oswego Expedition
- Reflectlons and Considerations
- A Mystery 251
- With Consummate Darling - The Question or Leadership
- Washington's Opinion of the Effect of Terms of Enlistment
- The Destruction of Grain & livestock as a Military Strategy
- To Pay the Piper - the Price of Neglect
- Appendix I:
Mysterious Tales of New Dorlach - OCtober 17-19, 1780
Philip Crysler's Mission
Jacob Merckley's 'Company'
Roster of Jacob Merckleys New Dorlach 'Company', Oct. 19, 1780
- Appendix 2:
- Rebel Militia Regiments Engaged at Klock's Field, Oct 19, 1780
- Appendix 3:
- Casualty Analyses ofthe Johnson Expedition
- Sir John Johnson's Return of Casualties
- Casuals ofButJcr's Rangers during the October 1780 Raids
- List of Prisoners with the Rebels of the KRR NY
6 X 9"
Softcover - perfectbound
Published by Dundurn, Toronto, 1997
About the author: Gavin K. Watt|
Gavin Watt has studied Canada's role in the American Revolution for forty years and has eleven books published on the subject. He pursues a life-long interest in military history and has re-enacted in four historical eras. Gavin is a honourary Vice-President of the United Empire Loyalists' Association and often speaks at historical societies' meetings. /i>
Click for a list of Gavin K. Watt's books
More Genealogy & History Resources from Global Genealogy:
History & Genealogy Books...
History and genealogy books, maps, CDs from a wide selection of publishers, including Global Heritage Press. Browse resources listed by country, location or topic.
Document & Artifact Preservation Products
Acid-free storage and display products to preserve and safely store your family heirloom documents and artifacts.
Printing & Binding Solutions
You've done the research, written the stories, gathered the photos and illustrations, and put them all together... Now let GlobalGenealogy.com produce a finished book you will be proud to call your own.
Family Tree Charts & Census Forms
Poster-size blank family tree charts, plus a variety of free blank letter-size charts and census forms
Lanark County's Mammoth Cheese and its
Place in Cheesemaking History
Early Ottawa Newspapers
Birth, Marriage, Death Notices
1854 to 1877
Lanark County United Churches, formerly Congregational, Methodist & Presbyterian, Baptisms, Marriages, Burials
The War of 1812...
Searching for your
Ancestor's War Records
Ottawa Branch News
1970 - 2008
Ontario Genealogical Society
Renfrew County United Churches, formerly Methodist and Presbyterian, Baptisms, Marriages 1841-1899
The Ottawa Citizen
Birth, Marriage, Death Notices 1879-1885
Surviving 1851 Census
Returns of Ireland
Loyalist Refugees 1776-1784
[ to Canada ]
Names of Emigrants,
From 1845-47 Records of
[ most from Ireland ]
Tracing Your Kent Ancestors, Guide for Family Historians
[ England ]
Tracing Your Leeds Ancestors, Guide for Family Historians
[ England ]
Births, Marriages & Deaths
Carp Review, 1905-1950
[Carleton County, Ontario, Canada]