Researching in German
Civil and Church Records
How to Write Your Family History: A Guide to Creating, Planning, Editing and Publishing Family Stories
Citing Historical Sources:
A Manual for Family Historians
Social Media for Family Historians - Second Edition
Death Certificates and Archaic Medical Terms
[an Australian perspective]
Evernote for Family Historians
The Centenary Celebration of the Battle of Lundy's Lane
[War of 1812]
DNA for Genealogists
The Place to Launch Your
Scottish Research - 2nd Edition
Historical notes... R.C. Diocese of
[Glengarry, Stormont counties, Ontario]
BOOK - United Empire Loyalists, A Guide to Tracing Loyalist Ancestors in Upper Canada
By Brenda Dougall Merriman BA, CGRS, CGL.
Published by Global Heritage Press, Milton
pdf download.....14.95 (C$)
Link emailed within 1 business day
Licensed for personal use only
Searching for Loyalists takes us back to the first days of this province, and does require an understanding of the conditions that produced the documentary evidence about them.
6" X 9"
8.5" X 11"
There has long been a need for descendants of the United Empire Loyalists to have a general guide to assist the tracing of Loyalist ancestors, not only for the beginner, but also for those who encounter stumbling blocks on their way. In this book we find a guide to the necessary sources; background information; selections from previous experience; and analytical interpretations of the records.
This landmark work acknowledges misperceptions about Loyalists and then clearly defines the criteria for establishing a person as a "Loyalist". The work focuses on research methodology and sources of information for the researcher, all illustrated by effective case study.
Those who are researching thier United Empire Loyalist ancestors in Ontario will value this book above all others on this topic.
Table of Contents:
Chapter 5: Case Examples: Working With Petitions
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Who Is A Loyalist?
- The Background
- Lord Dorchester's Resolution
- What "Kind" of Loyalist?
- Chapter 2: What is the United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada?
- Mission Statement
- Making Application
- Chapter 3: How Do I Get To My Loyalist?
- Educate Yourself
- Common Pitfalls and Fallacies
- Understanding the Research Process
- A Simple Case Example
- Basic Sources
- 1. Births - Marriages - Deaths
- 2. Divorce
- 3. Cemeteries
- 4. Church and Religious Sources
- 5. Census Returns
- 6. Wills and Estate Files
- 7. Land/Property Ownership
- 8. Newspapers
- The "Grandchild Generation Problem"
- Chapter 4: Is My Ancestor A Loyalist?
- a. Brief Chronological Points:
- b. Major Instructions and Proclamations affecting Loyalists:
- c. Potential Activities of a Loyalist
- 1. Lists of Loyalists
- (a) Contemporary, Original Lists
- (b) Compiled/Derivative Lists
- 2. Military Sources
- 3. Claims for Losses
- 4. Land Allocation and Documentation
- "UE" and "MC"
- Original Allocation Process
- (a) Ontario Land Records Index (OLRI)
- (b) District Land Boards
- (c) Upper Canada Land Books
- (d) Land Petitions
- (e) Heir and Devisee Commissions
- (f) Township Papers
- (g) Crown Lands Records
- 5. Government Correspondence
Chapter 6: Reading and Reference
- "Model" Petitions
- "Typical" But Tangled Examples
- Less "Typical" Or Unsuccessful Examples
- General Guides and Source Books
- Loyalist History, General and Special Subjects
- Upper Canada/Ontario Loyalists & Sources
- Loyalist Lists and Military
- Review by James W. Petty, AG, CG. National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Dec. 2008: "... This book should be required reading for Canadian or Ontario researchers... This volume deserves to become a standard guide for Canadian genealogical research."
- Review by Kathie Orr, Past President of The United Empire Loyalists Association of Canada: Brenda's expertise and years of experience in researching the records of
this period have given us a reference tool we have long needed; the book is
a "must have" for the Loyalist searcher.
- Review by Dick Eastman, Publisher of Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter:
I had a chance to read the book this week and must say that I am impressed with it. I have done some Loyalist research in years past, and now I wish this book was available to me back then. It would have saved a lot of time! Read complete review...
Hardcover: 200 pp. index, hardcover, 6" x 9", maps, illustrations, ISBN 1-897210-84-1 (Hardcover).
Softcover: 200 pp. index, softcover, 8.5 X 11", maps, illustrations, ISBN 978-1897446-95-9 (coil-bound).
Book on CD: Complete book in searchable .pdf format. PC or Mac.
More Genealogy & History Resources from Global Genealogy:
History & Genealogy Books...
History and genealogy books, maps, CDs from a wide selection of publishers, including Global Heritage Press. Browse resources listed by country, location or topic.
Document & Artifact Preservation Products
Acid-free storage and display products to preserve and safely store your family heirloom documents and artifacts.
Printing & Binding Solutions
You've done the research, written the stories, gathered the photos and illustrations, and put them all together... Now let GlobalGenealogy.com produce a finished book you will be proud to call your own.
Family Tree Charts & Census Forms
Poster-size blank family tree charts, plus a variety of free blank letter-size charts and census forms
Up to 40% OFF
The French Régime in
Prince Edward Island
Across the Waters: Ontario Immigrants' Experiences, 1820-1850
Wolfe Island, A Legacy in Stone [Ontario]
The History Of Shefford
[Shefford Township, Quebec]
The Sash Canada Wore,
A Historical Geography of
The Orange Order in Canada
The Land Newly Found,
Eyewitness Accounts of the
Canadian Immigrant Experience
Toronto Illustrated 1893
Index to the 1871 Census of Toronto
Index to the 1871 Census of York County, Ontario