The Essex Hundred: Histories
Updated for 2013. An attractive book detailing Essex history in an informative and entertaining manner. From the Romans sacking of Colchester to Fords modern day wind turbines each chapters reflect the diversity of the county as well as....
Early Yorkshire Families
This work is an invaluable source of information for researchers interested in medieval Yorkshire or the feudal system generally....
A Grim Almanac of the Workhouse
This book contains 365 incredible tales of fires, drownings, explosions and disasters, infamous scandals such as the Andover affair - where inmates were forced to eat the bones they were supposed to be....
Voices from the Workhouse
Tells the real inside story of the workhouse - in the words of those who experienced the institution at first hand, either as inmates or....
The Kerry Chain,
This book will be of interest to both the family historian and those engaged in Irish immigration studies....
The Limerick Link
[Renfrew County, Ontario]
St. Martin of Tours Roman Catholic Parish, Glen Robertson - Baptisms, Marriages, Burials 1895-1925
The St. Martin of Tours Roman Catholic Parish in Glen Robertson, Glengarry County, Ontario has two registers from which the entries are transcribed into this book...
(Glengarry County, Ontario)
The Jesuit Mission in Acadie and Norèmbegue: 1611-1613
This volume is faithful translation to English of the many documents by Fr. Pierre Biard, S.J. pertaining to the Jesuit mission activity in the Acadia and Norèmbegue territory from...
Notices of Births, Conversions, Marriages, Deaths, Obituaries From Methodist Newspapers 1830-1900
The new Volume 12 is available now. 606 pages of detailed death announcements and obituaries that were originally printed in Methodist newspapers in Canada betweeen...
Bruce County's Black Pioneers
An essential read for everyone who has an interest in the early settlement of Bruce County regardless of racial origin...
Ultimate Sacrifice, Those who made the Ultimate Sacrific in the Royal Canadian Navy, The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve, and the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve 1939-1947
The records include naval service and personal information as well as photographs on individual sailors who lost...
Tracing Your Ancestors' Childhood,
Every family historian has child ancestors, and childhood experiences and records are an essential aspect of research into a past life. That is why Sue Wilkes’s detailed and accessible handbook is...
A Guide For Family Historians
[England & Wales]
Tracing Ancestors Using Census,
Packed with advice on how to explore and get the most from census records. As well as describing the modern censuses, it provides information on the less-known censuses dating from before 1841, and it covers the...
A Guide For Family Historians
[England, Wales, Scotland & Ireland]
BOOK - United Empire Loyalists, A Guide to Tracing Loyalist Ancestors in Upper Canada
By Brenda Dougall Merriman BA, CGRS, CGL.
Published by Global Heritage Press
Searching for Loyalists takes us back to the first days of this province, and does require an understanding of the conditions that produced the documentary evidence about them.
6" X 9"
8.5" X 11"
There has long been a need for descendants of the United Empire Loyalists to have a general guide to assist the tracing of Loyalist ancestors, not only for the beginner, but also for those who encounter stumbling blocks on their way. In this book we find a guide to the necessary sources; background information; selections from previous experience; and analytical interpretations of the records.
This landmark work acknowledges misperceptions about Loyalists and then clearly defines the criteria for establishing a person as a "Loyalist". The work focuses on research methodology and sources of information for the researcher, all illustrated by effective case study.
Those who are researching thier United Empire Loyalist ancestors in Ontario will value this book above all others on this topic.
Table of Contents:
Chapter 5: Case Examples: Working With Petitions
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Who Is A Loyalist?
- The Background
- Lord Dorchester's Resolution
- What "Kind" of Loyalist?
- Chapter 2: What is the United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada?
- Mission Statement
- Making Application
- Chapter 3: How Do I Get To My Loyalist?
- Educate Yourself
- Common Pitfalls and Fallacies
- Understanding the Research Process
- A Simple Case Example
- Basic Sources
- 1. Births - Marriages - Deaths
- 2. Divorce
- 3. Cemeteries
- 4. Church and Religious Sources
- 5. Census Returns
- 6. Wills and Estate Files
- 7. Land/Property Ownership
- 8. Newspapers
- The "Grandchild Generation Problem"
- Chapter 4: Is My Ancestor A Loyalist?
- a. Brief Chronological Points:
- b. Major Instructions and Proclamations affecting Loyalists:
- c. Potential Activities of a Loyalist
- 1. Lists of Loyalists
- (a) Contemporary, Original Lists
- (b) Compiled/Derivative Lists
- 2. Military Sources
- 3. Claims for Losses
- 4. Land Allocation and Documentation
- "UE" and "MC"
- Original Allocation Process
- (a) Ontario Land Records Index (OLRI)
- (b) District Land Boards
- (c) Upper Canada Land Books
- (d) Land Petitions
- (e) Heir and Devisee Commissions
- (f) Township Papers
- (g) Crown Lands Records
- 5. Government Correspondence
Chapter 6: Reading and Reference
- "Model" Petitions
- "Typical" But Tangled Examples
- Less "Typical" Or Unsuccessful Examples
- General Guides and Source Books
- Loyalist History, General and Special Subjects
- Upper Canada/Ontario Loyalists & Sources
- Loyalist Lists and Military
- Review by James W. Petty, AG, CG. National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Dec. 2008: "... This book should be required reading for Canadian or Ontario researchers... This volume deserves to become a standard guide for Canadian genealogical research."
- Review by Kathie Orr, Past President of The United Empire Loyalists Association of Canada: Brenda's expertise and years of experience in researching the records of
this period have given us a reference tool we have long needed; the book is
a "must have" for the Loyalist searcher.
- Review by Dick Eastman, Publisher of Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter:
I had a chance to read the book this week and must say that I am impressed with it. I have done some Loyalist research in years past, and now I wish this book was available to me back then. It would have saved a lot of time! Read complete review...
Hardcover: 200 pp. index, hardcover, 6" x 9", maps, illustrations, ISBN 1-897210-84-1 (Hardcover).
Softcover: 200 pp. index, softcover, 8.5 X 11", maps, illustrations, ISBN 978-1897446-95-9 (coil-bound).
Book on CD: Complete book in searchable .pdf format. PC or Mac.
More Genealogy & History Resources from Global Genealogy:
History & Genealogy Books...
History and genealogy books, maps, CDs from a wide selection of publishers, including Global Heritage Press. Browse resources listed by country, location or topic.
Acid-Free & Artifact Preservation Products
Acid-free storage and display products to preserve and safely store your family heirloom documents and artifacts.
Printing & Binding Solutions
You've done the research, written the stories, gathered the photos and illustrations, and put them all together... Now let GlobalGenealogy.com produce a finished book you will be proud to call your own.
Family Tree Charts & Census Forms
Poster-size blank family tree charts, plus a variety of free blank letter-size charts and census forms